Virtual Hebrides

Virtual Hebrides


Hebrides Links

Callanish Standing Stones, Isle of Lewis

Callanish Standing StonesCallanish Standing Stones. A visit to the Western Isles would not be complete without a trip to the Callanish Standing Stones. The stone circle can be found at the south end of Callanish township and is clearly signposted from the A858. At the site is a car park for visitors with a visitor centre offering refreshments and other facilities

A different perspective on the stones‘Calanais’ is the Gaelic for Callanish, previously it was called Callernish, and before that Classerniss. It is estimated that the stones were "built" around the period 3000 – 1000 BC by prehistoric tribesmen. The site is in the care of Historic Scotland. Callanish

 

Fireworks at the stonesCallanish was obviously a well used and important place way back in time. The Callanish site was excavated in 1857 on the orders of Sir James Matheson (owner) the site is becoming a popular place for modern rituals such as New Year/Millenium celebrations and the increasingly popular Summer Solstice gathering. Callanish

 

You will find more details on the Callanish Standing Stones in the "History Section" Callan

 

Back to list

Back to the Isle of Lewis

Next